Monday, December 12, 2011

tomato gravy

Last week, when we were visiting Karla, my Amish friend, she mentioned that they often have tomato gravy over eggs for breakfast. This was the second time she had talked about "tomato gravy" and it sounded so interesting, I had to try it.

From what I gather, it's an Amish thing. It makes a regular appearance at meals at all times of the day, and it's quite versatile. You can serve it over eggs (which I did last Wednesday and let me just say - YUM. It's no wonder her family eats eggs every morning if she's serving tomato gravy over them!), you can serve it over rice (did that tonight), you can put it over toast, over noodles, over biscuits, over roasted chicken....and many more, I'm sure.

I'm going to give you my ingredient list, which is different from hers. Hers calls for a can of diced tomatoes (roughly 14 oz.). For mine, I used tomato juice.

Ingredients

3 Tbls. butter
3 Tbls. white flour
tomato juice (about a cup)
whole milk or cream (about a half cup)
3 Tbls. sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Melt the butter over medium heat.

Whisk in the flour until it begins to brown.

Pour in the tomato juice and milk all at once.

Whisk until smooth and thickened. If it is too thick for your liking, add more tomato juice.

Stir in the sugar and salt and pepper.

Serve with a variety of side dishes or meats, but especially with eggs.

No comments: